BY Urvashi Kaushik
ChatGPT got 10 million users in a matter of 2 months. ChatGPT is an AI bot that uses prompts to answer the query. It was created by OpenAI. It can be used for various purposes. Here I am gonna talk about its use in UX design.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence chatbot developed by OpenAI and launched in November 2022. It is built on top of OpenAI’s GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 families of large language models and has been fine-tuned using both supervised and reinforcement learning techniques. (Wikipedia)
How can UX/UI Designers use ChatGPT or OpenAI for their work?
- ChatGPT can widely be used for copywriting: In UX design, designers have to write content for their product by themselves but this problem is solved by ChatGPT. Now, designers can use ChatGPT for writing content for their apps or website.
They can generate text for small things like CTAs, Navigation bars, and even for different error and success messages, headings, body texts, etc.
Here are the examples of headings for onboarding screens:
You can write ’n’ number of texts with ChatGPT, you just have to know how to write prompts correctly to get your answers.
2. ChatGPT can help designers in generating design systems, hence reducing the efforts!: UX designers can now type prompts to generate the design system for the specific product. ChatGPT is capable of giving the color codes and CTA different states.
Look at this example:
This is how you can create your own design system, you just have to learn how to write correct prompts.
3. ChatGPT helps in generating interview questions for UX research: UX designers can now generate interview questions according to the project they are working on.
Check these examples:
- Anxiety Relief app interview questions:
2. Food delivery app interview questions:
This is how easily designers can create interview questions for any product they are working on. ChatGPT hence saves time by creating some good-quality questions for your project.
4. Chatgpt helps in writing proposals for the clients: I tried different prompts on chatGPT to see what things the chatGPT can do. Writing proposals for the client is a very important thing for any company or for any freelance designer. It will decide if the client will work with you or not, so the proposal should be as precise and straightforward as possible.
Here is an example of how the ChatGPT writes proposals:
I’ve written a very simple prompt here, but you can write it with more details.
5. ChatGPT can help designers create empathy maps for specific users: ChatGPT can now create empathy maps based on different users, and you can create empathy maps in table formats as well. The same goes with persona, designers can now create user personas based on the different users. Here is an example:
6. ChatGPT can be used for brainstorming: Designer sometimes feels stuck to finding out the causes of some events like users uninstalling the app, why users keep unsubscribing to their premium subscription, and why user retention is decreasing, etc. So designers can use it for brainstorming the causes behind these happenings, it will not be exact but it will give some idea to the designers like where they are lagging actually.
See this example:
This will help the designers to get some idea about where they are lagging and hence resulting in it increased user retention.
In conclusion, AI is becoming increasingly important for UX designers as it has the potential to revolutionize the way we design and build products. AI can help designers to automate routine tasks, generate insights from data, and improve the user experience by personalizing content and predicting user behavior.
By leveraging the power of AI, UX designers can create more effective and engaging products that meet the needs of users and keep pace with the rapidly changing digital landscape. However, it is important to balance the benefits of AI with ethical and privacy considerations to ensure that users are protected and their data is handled responsibly.